Saturday, June 12, 2010

Men and shopping... and oh yes, cats


Well. The cats decimated another scratching post, the big one with carpet on the base and a big section of sisal rope around the middle of the 4' high 4x4 wood post. I figured, we spent plenty $$$ to buy it new and they love that post, AND I'm handy with hot glue and a staple gun, so I'll just replace the carpeting and sisal, rather than buy a new post. Sisal's cheap, so are carpet remnants.

And apparently I needed something to do.

The problem is... what I ask for wasn't what I got (hmm... rarely is, come to think of it! hahaha). I sent hubby to Lowe's (cuz I had work to do… victims to stalk! emails to write! blogs to update!) for "at least 60' sisal and a 2'x3' carpet remnant". Actually, he had appointment, and he was already out-n-about, that's why he went. Really.

Sound simple, right? I wrote it on paper too.

Not so simple. What I got was 50' sisal and a 1-1/2'x20' remnant.

The man has no spatial relations. And I'm not talking derogatorily about the space between his ears, cuz ya know I think he has that, but he has no idea when I say at least 60' I mean get more than 60' even if you have to get two 50' bundles cuz I'll use it on the other posts too. D'oh! So I showed him why the carpeting wasn't quite right...

Me, holding the way-too-narrow carpet remnant to the now-too-wide flat base: "See? I needed at least 2' wide."
Him, shrugging: "They didn't have carpet remnants at Lowe's. That's all they had where I went."
Me, surprised: "Not Lowe's? So where'd you go?"

He named some carpet store nearby, not where I woulda went but that's okay, I didn't go. There's some other shop I'm thinking of nearer the center of town... but... since I didn't go, I wouldn't complain. Much.

Me, confused: "They didn't have anything more... square?"
Him, repeating cuz I apparently didn't hear him the first time: "No, that's all they had."
Me: "There's more than one carpeting store in this town, you know."
Him, still repeating himself cuz I'm too dense to hear him today: "Yeah... welllll... Lowe's didn't carry carpet remnants."
Me: "I wasn't talking about Lowe's, I was talking about where you went."
Him, repeating like I didn't get it first or the second time: "That's all they had."
Me, resigned: "Fine, I'll put a cheap-n-dirty seam in it, Tigger will rip it out in a week. She has a nervous twitch, you know."
Him, ever the broken record to drive home the point: "That's all they had."

Last night I had counted the loops of sisal, and by size of the post I used my handy-dandy calculator and it came up to 54'. I figured 60' I could wrap it tighter. But no! The stuff only comes in 50' bundles and instead of buying 2 of the 50' bundles (so I could have redone the sisal on a smaller post TOO while I was all hot-n-sweaty - and not in a good way, either, thankyouverymuch!!), he brought back only *one* bundle.

So I wrapped it a little looser, it turned out okay, the post is covered. Cats are happy. I'm tired. That stuff is rough to work with, ugh. And hey - I saved major bucks doing it myself!

But the carpeting... wellll... I had to seam it and I don't think that's gonna last. You should see Tigger and Precious and Sweet Pea dig into the flat carpet part, they're aggressive.

Ya know what's really funny? The cat herd watched the entire time. They were fascinated by the sisal rope all over the kitchen floor.

Hubby watched too. He was fascinated that he matched the carpet remnant so close to what was already on the post. I had to shoo them all outta the room no fewer than five times - with the water sprayer. Gotta love it when I get growled and hissed at - and not by the cats, either, that was hubby!

At least now they have a post that works again, I'd hot-glued it so many times it took me a while to undo all the stuff I'd done to it first, hehehe. That's a big enough craft project for me for this week. And now Tigger won't try and eat the sisal, she was gnawing on the loose ends that had ripped off. That cat will eat ANYTHING, but that's a different blog for another day, she's our little omnivore.

And those flowers up top? That's the blooms from a sisal plant. Pretty, huh?

3 comments:

  1. This is hilarious, Susan! You are definitely craftier (and more patient) than I am. And who knew sisal flowers would be pretty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing more and more tech stuff, Susan, thanks to you. Have figured out how to 'follow' people's blogs and am enjoying reading and commenting.

    You do lead an interesting life. And I can just see the 50' of sisal that should have been more than 60' snaking around the floor with the kitty posse looking on, watching for a twitch so they could pounce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved re-doing that cat scratching post, it's about time to do it again. Thanks to the odd-shaped remnant he got me, I actually have enough to do it 3x more, so I didn't really care that I had to seam it in an odd spot. I just need more sisal and I'm good-to-go. Five cats really wreck the heck out of the posts, but that's what they're for! :)

    They loved watching the whole process, just waiting for a chance to pounce on a spare piece. With the tidbits of sisal I had left over, I knotted some foot-long sections and they played with those till they got too raggedy. Good way to use up the odds and ends! :)

    Thanks for reading, ladies! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete